Tchaikovsky: 7 Symphonies - Pletnev
PentaTone Classics PTC 5186489 (7 discs)
Classical - Orchestral
Russian National Orchestra
Mikhail Pletnev (conductor)
Tchaikovsky defined the symphony as being “the most lyrical of musical forms. After all, is it not meant to express that for which there are no words, but which forces itself out of the soul, impatiently waiting to be uttered?” With these words, the composer makes us aware of the special nature of his symphonies. They primarily provided him with a musical outlet for the expression and elaboration of his emotions, his mental and spiritual processes.' - Franz Steiger
Between February 2011 and March 2014, PENTATONE released a highly acclaimed cycle of recordings of the complete symphonies by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, as well as the Marche Slave, the Festival Coronation March, Romeo and Juliet, Francesca da Rimini, Capriccio Italien and the Manfred Symphony. All recordings are performed by the world class Russian National Orchestra under the direction of Mikhail Pletnev. This majestic cycle, with Symphony No. 5 selected as CD of the Month by BBC Music Magazine, is now presented in a magnificent 7 SACD box set. A wonderfully complete collection to fully enjoy the unsurpassed lyrical mastery of Tchaikovsky in optimal sound quality.
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Capriccio Italien, TH 47 Op. 45
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Coronation March (Festive March), TH 50
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini, TH 46 Op. 32
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony, TH 28 Op. 58
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet (fantasy overture), TH 42
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Slavonic March, TH 45 Op. 31
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 1 in G minor, TH 24 Op. 13 'Winter Daydreams'
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 2 in C minor, TH 25 Op. 17 'Little Russian'
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 3 in D major, TH 26 Op. 29 'Polish'
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, TH 27 Op. 36
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E minor, TH 29 Op. 64
- Peter Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, TH 30 Op. 74 'Pathétique'