Lost is my quiet: Duets and solo songs - Sampson, Davies, Middleton
Classical - Vocal
Songs by Henry Purcell (realized by Benjamin Britten), Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Robert Schumann & Roger Quilter
Carolyn Sampson (soprano)
Iestyn Davies (counter-tenor)
Joseph Middleton (piano)
Carolyn Sampson and Iestyn Davies have collaborated on many occasions in the field of Baroque opera and oratorio, but on this occasion they venture into a somewhat different territory. In the company of Joseph Middleton, they have been exploring the Lieder for one and two voices of Mendelssohn and Schumann, combining them with songs and duets by Roger Quilter. And even though the disc actually opens with a set of Purcell songs – repertoire which both singers have previously made their mark in – they are here performed with the piano accompaniments realized by Benjamin Britten, turning them into something quite new and different.
'Creamy', 'luminous' and 'supple' are words that often appear in reviews about both Carolyn Sampson and Iestyn Davies, and in these duets they achieve a marvellous blend as well as the utmost precision. They are aided in this by Joseph Middleton, described in The Telegraph (UK) as an 'unfailingly sensitive accompanist'.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Neue Liebe - Song, MWV K 70 Op. 19a No. 4
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Scheidend - Song, MWV K 50 Op. 9 No. 6
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Songs for 2 Voices and Piano, MWV J 4/6/12 Op. 77
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Songs for 2 Voices and Piano, MWV J 5/7-11 Op. 63
- Henry Purcell: If music be the food of love, Z 379
- Henry Purcell: Lost is my quiet forever, Z 502
- Henry Purcell: Oedipus, Z 593
- Henry Purcell: Oroonoko, Z 584
- Henry Purcell: Sound the trumpet, beat the drum, Z 335
- Henry Purcell: The Maid's Last Prayer (Any Rather Than Fail), Z 601
- Roger Quilter: 3 Songs, Op. 3 No. 1 Love's Philosophy
- Roger Quilter: 5 Shakespeare Songs, Op. 23 No. 3 It was a lover and his lass
- Roger Quilter: 6 Songs, Op. 25 No. 5 Music, when soft voices die
- Roger Quilter: 7 Elizabethan Lyrics, Op. 12 No. 1 Weep you no more, sad fountains
- Roger Quilter: Love calls through the summer night
- Roger Quilter: Old English Popular Songs (1921) No. 2 Drink to me only with thine eyes
- Robert Schumann: Gedichte aus Liebesfrühling, Op. 37 No. 12 So wahr die Sonne scheinet
- Robert Schumann: Gedichte, Op. 35 No. 8 Stille Liebe
- Robert Schumann: Gesänge, Op. 83 No. 3 Der Einsiedler
- Robert Schumann: Lieder und Gesänge III, Op. 77 No. 5 Aufträge
- Robert Schumann: Lieder und Gesänge IV, Op. 96 No. 1 Nachtlied
- Robert Schumann: Zweistimmige Lieder - Songs for Soprano, Alto and Piano, Op. 43