Haydn: An Imaginary Orchestral Journey - Rattle
LSO Live LSO0808
Classical - Orchestral
Haydn: An Imaginary Orchestral Journey
London Symphony Orchestra
Sir Simon Rattle (conductor)
Sir Simon Rattle pays homage to a composer he holds close to his heart with An Imaginary Orchestral Journey through the music of Joseph Haydn. Rattle trawls through the great composer’s impressive catalogue, piecing together excerpts from symphonies, oratorios and operas spanning a 40-year period in what the director describes as ‘a kind of greatest hits’ format.
‘The idea is to make a musical journey through all that is quirky and extraordinary, humorous and profound in Haydn,’ the LSO’s Music Director explains. Sir Simon’s focus is on Haydn as innovator, showcasing his most forward-looking and outlandish works in 50 minutes of uninterrupted performance.
What results from Sir Simon’s pasticcio is a clear image of the composer he sees to best represent the ideals of the Enlightenment, his selection meticulously arranged to best demonstrate Haydn’s intelligence, wit and thoughtfulness.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors:
II. The Earthquake: Presto e con tutta la forza (From The Seven Last Words of our Saviour on the Cross, Hob.XX:1)
IIIa. Sinfonia: Largo - Vivace assai (From L'isola disabitata, Hob.Ia:13)
IIIb. Sinfonia: Allegretto - Vivace (From L'isola disabitata, Hob.Ia:13)
IV. Largo (From Symphony No. 64 in A major, Hob.I:64)
V. Minuet & Trio (From Symphony No. 6 in D major, Hob.I:6)
VI. Finale: Presto (From Symphony No. 46 in B major, Hob.I:46)
VII. Finale: Prestissimo (From Symphony No. 60 in C major, Hob.I:60)
VIII. Introduction to Winter (Original version) (From The Seasons, Hob.XXI:3)
IXa. Finale: Presto (From Symphony No. 45 in F-sharp minor, Hob.I:45)
IXb. Finale: Adagio (From Symphony No. 45 in F-sharp minor, Hob.I:45)
X. Music for Musical Clocks (From Flötenuhrstücke, Hob.XIX:1-32)
XI. Finale: Allegro assai (From Symphony No. 90 in C major, Hob.I:90)
- Joseph Haydn: Das Jahreszeiten, Hob. XXI:3 (The Seasons)
- Joseph Haydn: Die Schöpfung, Hob. XXI:2 (The Creation)
- Joseph Haydn: Die sieben letzten Worte, Hob. XX:1 (The Seven Last Words - Orchestral version)
- Joseph Haydn: Flötenuhrstücke (Music for Musical Clocks), Hob. XIX:1-32
- Joseph Haydn: L'Isola disabitata, Hob. XXVIII:9
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 45 in F sharp minor, Hob. I:45 'Abschieds'
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 46 in B major, Hob. I:46
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 6 in D major, Hob. I:6 'Le Matin'
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 60 in C major, Hob. I:60 'Il distratto'
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 64 in A major, Hob. I:64 'Tempora mutantur'
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 90 in C major, Hob. I:90