A Retrospective - Trio Zimmermann
BIS BIS-2677 (5 discs)
Classical - Chamber
Works by Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, Hindemith, Schönberg
In 2007 Frank Peter Zimmermann was able to realize his long-cherished dream to establish a string trio, together with Antoine Tamestit and Christian Poltéra. Three individually superb string players do not necessarily add up to a top-flight trio – even if they all play on instruments by Stradivarius, as here – but Trio Zimmermann immediately made a name for itself at international festivals and prestigious concert venues. In 2010 the trio released its first disc – with Mozart's seminal Divertimento – to critical acclaim. (More than 10 years later, that recording was the top recommendation in the Record Review series Building a Library on BBC Radio 3.)
On following offerings, the ensemble explored the later repertoire for string trio: two discs with Beethoven's contributions to the genre, and a third with works by Hindemith and Schoenberg which have garnered distinctions such as Diapason de l’Année, the Chamber Award from BBC Music Magazine and a ‘Jahrespreis’ from the German Record Critics’ Award association. For their fifth disc to date the trio went back in time, however, as the three members together prepared a performing version of Bach's Goldberg Variations, described as ‘a triumph of combined technical ingenuity and musical insight’ in The Strad. These five discs have now been collected into a boxed-set retrospective, offering lovers of chamber music more than 5 hours of glorious music-making, in top-notch sound and including the original booklets with full documentation.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (Clavier-Übung IV)
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 3
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello No. 2 in D major, Op. 8 'Serenade'
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello No. 3 in G major, Op. 9 No. 1
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello No. 4 in D major, Op. 9 No. 2
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello No. 5 in C minor, Op. 9 No. 3
- Paul Hindemith: String Trio No. 1, Op. 34 (1924)
- Paul Hindemith: String Trio No. 2 (1933)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Divertimento for Violin, Viola and Cello in E flat major, K. 563
- Arnold Schoenberg: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello, Op. 45
- Franz Schubert: Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello No. 1 in B flat major, D. 471