Stained Glass - Dalene, Hadland
Classical - Chamber
Works by Bacewicz, L Boulanger, Prokofiev, Pärt, Ravel
Johan Dalene (violin)
Christian Ihle Hadland (piano)
This recital brings together two established classics from the 20th century with lesser-known works from the repertoire for violin and piano. Alongside Ravel’s Sonata, a work that reveals the influence of jazz on the French composer, and Prokofiev’s wartime Sonata, Op. 94a, an idiomatic arrangement of its original version for flute, we find compositions by Arvo Pärt, Lili Boulanger and Grażyna Bacewicz, which, at times meditative, at times lyrical, at times folk-inspired, testify to the richness of this repertoire.
These works are here performed by Johan Dalene, the Swedish-Norwegian winner of the 2019 Nielsen Competition. The present disc is violinist’s fourth release on BIS, following a recording of the Nielsen and Sibelius Concertos named Editor’s Choice by Gramophone and awarded the 2023 Swedish Grammis Award for Best Classical, the Tchaikovsky Concerto described as ‘one of the finest violin débuts of the last decade’ in BBC Music Magazine, and ‘Nordic Rhapsody’, a violin and-piano recital that was awarded distinctions such as Diapason d’or and Gramophone’s Editor’s Choice. As with that release, Dalene is given here the expert support of Christian Ihle Hadland who has also appeared on other much-lauded recordings, most recently one dedicated to Saint-Saëns’ violin sonatas.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Grazyna Bacewicz: Humoresque for Violin and Piano (1953)
- Grazyna Bacewicz: Lullaby for Violin and Piano (1952)
- Grazyna Bacewicz: Slavonic Dance for Violin and Piano (1952)
- Grazyna Bacewicz: The Stained-glass Window for Violin and Piano (1932)
- Lili Boulanger: Nocturne for Violin and Piano (1911)
- Arvo Pärt: Fratres (1977-1992)
- Serge Prokofiev: Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 2 in D major, Op. 94bis
- Maurice Ravel: Sonata for Violin and Piano in G major, M. 77