Schumann: Symphonic Works - Schønwandt
Challenge Classics CC 72553 (2 discs)
Classical - Orchestral
Schumann: Symphonies 1-4, Sechs Fugen über den Namen BACH, Op. 60 (Fuge No. 6), Symphony in G minor "Zwickau"
Netherlands Radio Chamber Philharmonic
Robert Schumann’s four symphonies are undoubtedly highlights of the symphonic repertoire and are a true challenge for any orchestra. The numbering of the symphonies produces a degree of confusion – the Symphony in D minor from 1841 was fundamentally revised by Schumann in 1851 and was then given number 4. The recording on this CD is a reconstruction of the original version and is in fact Schumann’s ‘Second’.
- Robert Schumann: 6 Studien in kanonischer Form für Orgel oder Pedalklavier, Op. 56
- Robert Schumann: Symphony in G minor, WoO. 29 'Zwickau'
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 1 in B flat, Op. 38 'Spring'
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 97 'Rhenish'
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120